When refuse and trash regulations are not followed, it slows down trash collection for everyone and creates potentially hazardous situations for city employees. Beginning June 1, 2021, all of the following regulations for trash pick up must be followed or trash may not be picked up from that address on that day.
- BAGS ARE REQUIRED: All solid waste (trash) must be placed in trash bags with a capacity of 33 gallons or less and tied shut, even if the bags or trash are also placed in a trash can. If trash is not secured in plastic trash bags – regardless of whether it is also in a can or bin – sanitation personnel may not pick it up.
- COLLECTION TIME: All waste must be at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your regular collection day. Do not place trash out more than 24 hours prior to your scheduled collection date. The exact time of collection depends on the volume of trash across the city that day and the number of crews collecting it, so pick up times can vary. There is no solid waste pick up service on holidays observed by the City of Coweta.
- HOUSEHOLD WASTE: No more than fourteen (14) 33 gallon bags of waste, per household, per pickup day may be placed at the curb. All tree limbs, brush, or lumber to be picked up as trash must first be cut in four foot lengths and then tied into bundle of one (1) foot diameter or less. Large items (furniture, appliances, etc.) or limb/brush/lumber bundles larger than 1 foot in diameter must be scheduled for a bulk pickup for an additional fee.
- BULK WASTE COLLECTION: Bulk trash is picked up on Wednesdays. To schedule a bulk trash pickup you must call (918) 486-2189 by 5:00 p.m. the day before you wish to have the bulk trash picked up. Items must be placed at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your bulk pick up day. Items eligible for bulk pick up include things such as general household furniture and appliances (refrigerators must have Freon removed from a certified vendor) and water heaters, larger limbs and yard waste bundles, and other items that cannot be easily bagged for normal pick up. Fees for bulk pick up are $5.00 per item, $15.00 per pick up load, and/or $50.00 per dump truck load. Please contact (918) 486-2189 to check if your items qualify for bulk pick up or for bulk pick up questions.
- ITEMS NOT COLLECTED: Hazardous waste of any kind which can include but is not limited to: oil, gasoline, or diesel fuel; car batteries, tires, medical waste, paint, roofing material, remodeling materials, bags of dirt, rocks and/or concrete; or any other substance or item deemed hazardous by the City of Coweta.
- ADDITIONAL OPPORTUNITIES: Coweta provides an annual “Trash Off” Day and any citizen can bring trash, debris and most other items to a designated spot for disposal at no cost. The City website and facebook pages are the best sources of information for the date for Trash Off each year. Citizens who wish to reduce waste through recycling can take recyclables to the M.e.t. recycling location in Coweta at 11160 S 265th E Avenue, provided by the City’s partnership with the M.e.t. Click here for more information
If you have problems with dogs or cats bothering your garbage, please contact our Animal Control Officer at (918) 486-2121. Residents are responsible for cleaning up any messes made by animals which occur on or near your property. We appreciate your cooperation. If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Coweta Public Works Authority at (918) 486-8073. Following these regulations will improve trash service for all citizens, and will ensure your trash is picked up on your trash day.